Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Who says commuting in the Bay Area is no fun?

So if I were a race car driver I'd probably look something like this:
If Jeanna were a race car driver, she'd look something like this:

If I had a race car, it would look something like this:
Her car would be more like this:
But the truth is, neither Jeanna nor I are very aggressive drivers, though we do a lot of it! Her commute is about 100 miles each day, and mine is about 65 miles. She travels up the East Bay, while I head up the Peninsula. Then at the end of the day we meet back at home in the South Bay.


Most days, the commute is just a drag-- traffic, slowness, nothing on the radio, wanting to get home.... but yesterday it turned into a drag race!


You see, we often talk on the phone while driving home from our respective jobs, and yesterday we discovered that we were going to get home at pretty much the same time.
.
.
All of a sudden our conversation changed from the usual questions like, "How was your day?" or "What should we do for dinner?" to more pointed questions like, "So where are you now?", "How fast are you going?", "Now, where are you?" As we were getting closer and closer to home, the tension was building, until we both exited the freeway from different directions, and came speeding towards home, and then.....
.
.
.
...we nearly smashed into each other at this intersection:

It was actually great timing, and pretty funny!
.
Jeanna was where the van is pictured above, making a right turn, while I was flying through the intersection, trying to make the green light. Jeanna later said she should have cut me off.
.
But I told her, if we crashed I would have to totally sue her. And I think I would win the lawsuit too... because I'm pretty sure she didn't have her blinker on.
.
But had we actually crashed it would have looked something like this:

(Notice, no blinker! Just like Jeanna.)

Needless to say I won the race! (Though to her credit, Jeanna tried to edge me out just a few blocks from home, by sneakily passing me while pretending to listen to me on the phone, as I was telling a story.)

If this were a real race, my trophy would probably look something like this:
But my real prize is having such a fun friendship with my wife. She makes life fun for me. Even the normal stuff, like driving home from work.

NOTE: this post is not a solicitation to race, neither a recommendation or encouragement for racing activities. Racing can be hazardous to your health, (and/or marriage), and must only be done in times of emergency or extreme lateness, hunger, or having to use the restroom. Please drive responsibly and obey all laws and traffic signs.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

That's hilarious! Glad you guys have fun together!

Robin said...

ha. I love it. you had me so enthralled.. too bad I couldn't witness the whole thing in a helicopter up above. (you better get rid of this post before your kids are old enough to drive!)

jeanna eggers said...

And I would have won too if it werent for my giggling that gave away my sneaky pass. So much for being sneaky :)

sherry said...

This post totally cracked me up. What a fun relationship you two have! Jeanna I can totally picture you giggling as you are trying to be sneaky and pass your husband. And P.S- You look HOT in your race suit! ;)

JennyJenJen said...

YAY!!!!


I just heard news. I'm doing a little dance :)

anotherhale said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. I like that the "no racing" sign had hours posted. Does that mean it is "ok" to race during the day?