Monday, January 12, 2009

Priceless!

(Just thougth I'd write down a few of the things we loved about this Christmas)


Old Cassettes
When we were in Mesa we came across some cassette tapes from the past! They were of my Aunt Ruth, Uncle John, my mom and dad. Back before I was born they would sit around and record themselves talking and send them to their parents back in Idaho as a way to keep in touch. It was better than letters and calling long distance back then was really expensive. Here's some things I especially loved:
  • Their voices-they sounded so young and slightly Southern (I think it was the small town in my mom and Ruth)
  • Uncle John talking about calculator trivia (Ex. that 35108 spells Boise if you turn the calculator upside down :))
  • My mom talking about how my dad suggested that she throw a tupperware party, so she could get some free stuff. She said she earned $16 worth of free stuff so it was well worth it! :) Then while listening to the tape, my mom to pulled out the cake taker from her cupboard that she got 35 years ago from this very tupperware party :) Pretty funny.
  • How my mom said she "almost flipped" when my dad spent $.97 on a pack of only 10 cookies
It was so fun listening to this and also seeing my parents reactions from their conversations from the past. We all were busting up laughing!



Family Videos

My parents have always been good at video taping us as kids and then trying to preserve these ancient videos, filmstrips or whatever by transferring them to more modern technologies. This year my sister started transferring old VHS family videos to DVDs. We watched videos from 1973-83, including clips from my parents wedding. Very cool! Thanks Jody!

Ancestors/Geneology
My parents made all the kids this 6 Generation Chart etched by the laser cutter and then put it in a frame. Now I have 6 Generations of family names right at my fingertips. I love it!


Christmas Cards

We love getting cards, pictures and updates from family and friends at Christmas time. I love being able to see them all at once!


Testimonies

Jason's parents typed out their testimonies of the gospel of Jesus Christ for all of their kids and grandkids (which is not a small task-there are alot!!). Their testimonies were a perfect addition to the Book of Remembrance that Ruthann made all of her kids years ago before I was in the family.



Kids at Christmas

It was awesome to see Katelyn's excitement and hear her comment of "Please, oh please, oh please dont be clothes" as she opened more presents from grandma and grandpa, but being grateful for them when they were, in fact, more clothes.


Spending time with Family & Friends

We felt very fortunate to be able to be with family this Christmas (both Eggers & Williams), and visit friends that we dont get to see or talk to enough (thank goodness for email, blogs, and cell phones!)


That's All!

1 comment:

tarable said...

Why is my card so low? It should be framed and in a place of honor. I trust you'll do better next year.

(Miss you!)